Making the decision to adopt a child is a joyous time for any family. However, you may not know where to begin the process. That is where our adoption attorneys can help. Whether you are wishing to adopt an infant or are a stepparent who wishes to adopt an older child, having experienced legal representation in your corner can ensure that the process goes along smoothly. At the law firm of Alexander | Grossman in Chicago, our lawyers can be your trusted resource to help your adoption succeed. As a small law firm, you can be assured of personalized service that is compassionate and responsive to your needs throughout this exciting process.
We Provide A Wide Range Of Adoption Services
With more than 40 years of legal experience, our attorneys can help you with a wide range of adoption services in Illinois, including:
- Infant adoptions: We can help you navigate all aspects of the infant adoption process, including home studies and support service issues.
- Stepparent adoptions: If you are a stepparent wishing to take on the full rights and responsibilities of parenthood, we can guide you through the adoption process.
- Same-sex couple adoptions: Loving parents come from all walks of life. We are committed to serving the legal needs of anyone who wishes to build their family in Chicago, and can help you address any biases or unfairness you may encounter in the adoption process.
- Relative and grandparent adoptions: Under certain circumstances, grandparents and other relatives may have custody rights. We can help you understand how the law applies to your situation.
- Interstate adoptions: When adoptions cross state lines, we can help ensure that you remain in compliance with both Illinois laws and the sending state’s laws, including issues pertaining to the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC).
- Foster child adoptions: Whether you are currently a foster parent or wish to adopt from the U.S. foster care system, we can guide you through the process of making a child a permanent part of your family.
- Agency adoptions: If you are working with an adoption agency, our lawyers can advocate for your rights.
Providing Personalized Service Tailored To Fit Your Unique Needs
Every adoption scenario is different. That is why it is important to have legal counsel who does not take a one-size-fits-all approach. Adoptions differ greatly from the typically adversarial nature of other legal proceedings. Everyone involved has a vested interest in ensuring the emotional well-being of the child and his or her family. We can help make sure that everyone is focused on the same goal.
Serving Adoptive Parents
For adoptive parents, the adoption process brings much excitement but is also rife with legal and administrative hassles. Our attorneys are here to handle the legal details so that you can focus on this joyous new chapter in the life of your family. We can help you understand your rights and obligations regarding home studies, support services and other issues that may arise throughout an adoption. We handle adoptions with the utmost care and attention to detail, helping our clients avoid pitfalls that can delay or even derail the adoption process.
Serving Birth Mothers
Birth mothers often do not have legal counsel, even when adoptive parents do. This can create an unfair balance in the adoption process. If you are birth mother in an adoption, your decisions regarding adoption consent, the post-adoption contact agreement and other issues will have permanent consequences. Our attorneys can review all the paperwork and other details so that your rights are protected and you have a thorough understanding of your rights and obligations.
Contact Alexander | Grossman ∙ Free Initial Consultations
We are committed to guiding you through the adoption process. You can rely on us to be available to address all of your needs and concerns. Contact us online or call (312) 346-8822 to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your situation. From our Chicago offices, we serve individuals throughout the greater Chicago, Illinois, area.